Gopalpur College was established in 1968. In order to establish this college, a meeting presided over by Mr. Aziz Uddin Ahmed, circle officer (development) of Gopalpur,, was held on 8 November , 1967. Mr. A.H.M. Abdul Hai, then sub-divisional officer, was present in this meeting. In this meeting, an organizing committee was formed with the elite persons of Gopalpur to get admitted the students form July, 1968. Following this, the first meeting of the committee was held and the function of the establishment of this college went ahead .
Late Babu Nitta Nandan Roy Chowdhury and the then M.P. Mr. Hatem Ali Taluckder were in the top most position among the persons who made financial support to establish Gopalpur College. Babu Nitta Nandan Roy Chowdhury was the founder member till the last day of his life. Within two years of the establishment of the College, Degree Course (B.A, B.Sc and B.Com) was opened in the college. B.A honours course in Philosophy and B.Com honours course in Management were opened since the session 1995-96 . B.M course under Technical Education Board was opened in the session 1998- 99 . Finally, two other honours courses in Social Work and Political Science had been opened in the session 2012- 13 .
Taking the inspiration and encouragement from Khandaker Asaduzzaman M.P. Chairman of the Governing body and with the united help of the honourable members the Governing body, teachers and Local political leaders, the following digital activities have been started in Gopalpur College, Gopalpur, Tangail since January 2010 .
1. A proper and excellent environment of education has been created by setting up C.C. Cameras in the class rooms, barandas and college compound .
2. Cl assess are Observed from the Principal's room through computer .
3. Monthly attendance, results of monthly 12 subjects based tutorial exams, results of semester exams, progress report with obtained mark's photocopy of the students are sent to the guardians by the peons of the college.
4. Group classes are being taken by modern Multimedia Projectors .
5. A guide teacher has been appointed for 10 students to attend their classes and appear at the tutorial exams regularly .